8 Tips to Stay Fit While Staying Healthy
It''s important to make good choices to stay fit and healthy when looking for ways to lose weight. Not all diet plans or supplements that are targeted for weight loss work. In addition, many weight loss supplements can be harmful to health and lead to negative side effects.
Using prescription or over-the-counter weight loss aids can be ineffective or dangerous
Prescription and over-the-counter weight loss aids can have negative side effects that can result in long term damage to your health. For example, some drugs have a tendency to increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease resulting in a heart attack or a stroke. These include:
- Increase in blood pressure
- Irregular heart beats
- Headaches, and convulsions
Some weight loss supplements and diets that claim to help you lose weight drastically in a very short duration of time can prove to be detrimental by blocking your body''s capacity to absorb fat: This condition may lead to;
Herbal supplements are not necessarily safe and effective
- Herbal remedies are not monitored by the FDA. There are also no guidelines for effective dosage.
- There is no way to know how much of each ingredient is actually contained within each dose. Herbal remedies also have the risk of side effects, just like other medications.
- They may increase the risk of certain health conditions and may cause dangerous interactions with other medications.
Using medications and products not intended for weight loss have little results and can harm the body
Some people use laxatives, diuretics, or ipecac to purge food and fluids from the body.
- Laxatives and diuretics aren''t effective for weight loss because they work to remove waste from the body after calories have been used.
- Using them sparingly can lead to excess loss of fluids and changes in the way the body functions.
- Using these products for weight loss can lead to kidney or heart failure.
- Taking ipecac syrup when it is not necessary for its intended purpose may even lead to instant death.
Cutting out entire food groups is not necessary and can lead to chronic deficiencies
Completely cutting out carbs or fats is not the right approach to maintain a certain weight as it may lead to deficiencies of certain essential vitamins or minerals.
- Good carbs can be found in whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables.
- Good fats can be found in fish, fish oil, olive oil, and nut sources.
Fat is necessary in small amounts to digest certain nutrients and avoid deficiencies. It also helps you to feel fuller for longer, thereby helping you stay away from unhealthy snacking.
Calorie needs change over time
As you age and lose weight, your body needs less calories to maintain weight and to function properly. On option to get to an optimum weight is to lower your caloric intake slightly and add a little more activity to everyday routine.
Weight is not the only factor to consider to stay fit and healthy
Muscle weighs more than fat. When getting enough exercise and including necessary strength training, you may lose fat but gain muscle. This may show up as a weight gain in some people.
- Keep a regular check on your body''s measurements to see the bigger picture.
- If you lose fat but gain muscle, you still may have lost inches in areas such as the waist, hips, or thighs even though your weight may remain the same.
The importance of building muscle
Building muscle helps the body to burn more calories during and after physical activities. It also helps to:
- Prevent bone loss
- Increase metabolism
For weight loss, some people consume less calories than what the body needs to function properly throughout the day. This makes the body turn to fat stores for energy and functioning. However, even without daily activity, the body needs a certain amount of calories for all organs to function properly on a day to day basis.
- Without enough calories you won''t lose weight as the body tries to save fat stores for proper functioning and health. Over time, it can even lead to damage of vital organs.
Making permanent lifestyle changes is always a healthier and safer way to lose or maintain optimum weight depending on your age. While weight loss is important, never forget that it is only a part of your overall health and well-being.
Dorothy Wheaton, PA-C works with Careworks. They are a chain of walk-in clinics that offer convenient and affordable healthcare at all their clinic locations.